What if the demo for your new hardware was an actual, listenable album rather than a YouTube video?
Asheville modular synth maker Make Noise made this very hands-on promo with their new instrument, Strega, a patchable “desktop instrument” designed in collaboration with Alessandro Cortini. The 13 track album, Strega Musica, features a dozen musicians and producers, including some of the most interesting electronic music composers of the moment.
Abul Mogard carves out Tarkovskian landscapes on “Like Water.” Caterina Barbieri’s “Verge of Extinction” is ethereal given shape in sound. Daniel Avery and Manni Dee make something much more swagger on “Meanwhile the Night Gets Darker” — music anticipating Wong Kar-Wai’s return to gangster films.
The Strega costs $599 but this compilation is actually free, available for the price of nothing on Bandcamp.
#ListenUp: New sounds from the underground: new House Music tracks, Techno tracks, Deep House tracks and an eclectic mix of new releases from the electronic music underground. Updated daily, M-F.
V/A: Strega Musica (Make Noise / Digital)
1. Abul Mogard – Like Water (09:55)
2. Alessandro Cortini – ERA (16:16)
3. Ben Frost – Periphera (06:49)
4. Caterina Barbieri – Verge of Extinction (04:36)
5. Daniel Avery & Manni Dee – Meanwhile the Night Gets Darker (03:55)
6. Hiro Kone – Long Exposure (06:14)
7. Daniel Miller – Hexe (05:31)
8. Tony Rolando – Trace Amounts of 6 Seconds Ago (03:55)
9. Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe – All of Them (07:59)
10. Julianna Barwick – Fly (09:05)
11. Kali Malone – Fast Goodbye (05:57)
12. Marta Salogni – Tremate, Tremate (08:50)
13. Alessandro Cortini & Tony Rolando – Stregata (05:59)
⚪️ Disclosure Statement: This record was submitted as a promo.