Classical Music Festivals Canada has launched the second iteration of July in January today. The online festival of music includes contributions from many of Canada’s finest chamber music festivals on video. The festival has expanded from last year’s inaugural version, incorporating 11 performances from 11 members, along with conversations between host Eric Friesen and the artistic directors.
The festivals represented now include chamber ensembles from Manitoba, Newfoundland, Quebec, and Ontario. When the weather is dicey, music warms the heart, and to add icing to the cake, it’s all free, and requires no registration.
In other words: just enjoy.
Concerts are available now, and can be viewed 24/7 until February 28, 2023.
“We’re thrilled to once again be able to make these musical offerings to you, both in Canada and around the world. You’ll notice our family has grown since our first outing last year, and we have no doubt you’ll be delighted with the music they bring us. The musical tapestry you’ll discover here is not just a recall from last year’s festivals. It is a joyous reminder of the rich musical life that is Canada. Enjoy it all!” – Mark Fewer, Artistic Director, Stratford Summer Music, in a media statement
This year’s participants include:
- Agassiz Chamber Music Festival presents Quartetto Gelato (Winnipeg, Artistic Director: Paul Marleyn)
- Collingwood Summer Music Festival presents A Tribute to Maestro Boris Brott (Collingwood, Artistic Director: Daniel Vnukowski)
- Elora Festival presents Celebration in Song with the Elora Singers and cellist Katie Schlaikjer (Elora, Artistic Director: Mark Vuorinen)
- Festival of the Sound presents Sounding Thunder: The Song of Francis Pegahmagabow (Parry Sound, Artistic Director: James Campbell)
- Montréal Chamber Music Festival presents the St. Lawrence Quartet (Montréal, Artistic Director: Denis Brott)
- Music Niagara presents a look back at 2022 (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Artistic Director: Atis Bankas)
- Ottawa Chamberfest presents Introducing Rihab Chaieb (Ottawa, Artistic Director: Carissa Klopoushak)
- Stratford Summer Music presents 2022 Highlights (Stratford, Artistic Director: Mark Fewer)
- Tuckamore Festival presents 2022 Seasons Highlights (St. John’s, Artistic Directors: Nancy Dahn and Timothy Steeves)
- Toronto Summer Music presents Inspirations, highlights from 2022 (Toronto, Artistic Director: Jonathan Crow)
- Westben presents highlights from Digital Concerts at The Barn 2022 (Campbellford, Artistic Director: Brian Finley)
More information on the Classical Music Festivals, and the streaming links, on their website [HERE].
Get the daily arts news straight to your inbox.
Sign up for the Ludwig van Daily — classical music and opera in five minutes or less HERE.